Changes to Stat!Ref
Stat!Ref provides quick access to a number of full-text electronic medical reference books in the areas of diagnosis and treatment in specialties such as psychiatry, geriatrics, and surgery. Titles include Davis’s Drug Guide for Nurses, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Holland-Frei Cancer Medicine, and Quick Reference Guide to Pediatric Care, just to name a few. Two significant changes are scheduled for August 1, 2011.
A new version of Stat!Ref Online will be released. The interface offers more robust technology with more functionality such as:
- Updated search functions
- Enhanced access to tools needed to make research easier
- Ability to quickly download tables, figures and images for presentations and lectures
- Redesigned layout to locate resources and find information easier
- Enhanced ease of access to bibliographic citations including Refworks and EndNote
Also beginning August 1, titles published by McGraw-Hill will no longer be available through Stat!Ref. Most of these titles are still available through AccessMedicine and AccessSurgery, or in print format. Several new titles that are comparable to the McGraw-Hill books will be added to the Stat!Ref collection.
Changes to NetLibrary e-books
The UT Health Science Center Libraries has access to a number of NetLibrary e-books as the result of purchases by the UT System and TexShare over the past several years. EBSCO purchased NetLibrary, and as a result these e-books are currently being transferred to the EBSCO platform. Here is some information regarding the transition that may be helpful to e-book users accessing materials through the library catalog:
- Personal NetLibrary accounts that were created will cease to function after the transition is made. Users are encouraged to create new EBSCO accounts.
- Only one person will be able to browse an e-book at a time. The e-books may be searched, viewed, and browsed online but they may not be checked out. When a user’s session ends, any e-books they were viewing will become available to others.
- Due to licensing agreements, e-books we have access to will not be downloadable to a computer or portable reader.
- Links from the catalog and e-books page should seamlessly redirect from NetLibrary to EBSCO. Please contact the library at AskALibrarian@uthscsa.edu if you experience any linking problems.
Head of Collection Resources