Librarians and library staff would like to welcome new and returning students, residents, fellows, faculty and staff. Here are some things you need to know about using the libraries in San Antonio (Briscoe Library and Texas Research Park), Harlingen (Ramirez Library) and the Laredo Regional Campus library:
- The website for The Libraries provides links to the catalog, databases, classes, services, hours of operation, policies and contact information for each library (http://library.uthscsa.edu/ ). You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
- Faculty, staff and students must register to check out or renew materials, or to use services by submitting the Borrower Registration or Renewal Form (http://www.library.uthscsa.edu/using/borrower.pdf). Students and house staff must renew their library registration annually.
- We have an extensive print and online collection of books and journals. Library services include circulation and reserves, reference and research assistance, instruction in use of databases and bibliographic management software, expert database searches and consultations, interlibrary loan, community outreach, help with using library printers, copiers and scanners, and support for using resources for mobile devices.
- Librarians offer classes on a wide range of topics designed to enable efficient use of research tools and to promote evidence-based practice. A list of regularly scheduled classes is available online. Classes are also offered by arrangement with faculty or university departments (http://library.uthscsa.edu/gethelp/classes.cfm ).
- More than 100 computers are available in the Briscoe Library on the Long Campus, including 25 in the library computer classroom on the 2nd floor. Branch libraries are also equipped with computers. UT Health Science Center computer users at the Briscoe Library log on using their UTHSCSA domain account; non-HSC guests obtain a login code from the Circulation staff and are limited to one hour per day. Please read our Computer Use Policy (http://www.library.uthscsa.edu/about/computeruse.cfm).
- Librarians and library staff strive to make the library a welcoming place to study. Food and covered drinks are permitted in all libraries. Wireless laptop use is available throughout all the libraries, and we provide electrical outlets and data lines wherever possible. A variety of study areas are available, including open seating, individual study rooms that are first come first served, and group study rooms, which may be reserved for two or more UT Health Science Center affiliates. At the Briscoe Library, room reservations are made at the Circulation Desk, by email at AskaLibrarian@uthscsa.edu or by phone at (210) 567-2440. Study room reservations must include the names of two persons who will use the room. Contact the branch libraries to make reservations at those locations.
- Classrooms on the 2nd floor of the Briscoe Library building are available for after-hours study.
Librarians and library staff look forward to seeing you at one of the UT Health Science Center Libraries or in your classroom or office. We encourage you to ask questions and provide feedback on our services, collection and space.
Director of Briscoe Library Services