Librarians and library staff would like to welcome new and returning students, faculty and staff. Here is some information about the libraries, collections and services:
- The Libraries consist of the Dolph Briscoe Jr. Library at the Long Campus in San Antonio, the Mario E. Ramirez, M.D. Library at the Regional Academic Health Center in Harlingen, the Regional Campus Library in Laredo, and an unstaffed library at the Texas Research Park outside San Antonio. The Library Home Page can be found at www.library.uthscsa.edu. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
- The Briscoe Library is open until 2:00 a.m. on weeknights during the regular school year, from September to May. Summer and holiday hours vary. The 2nd floor of the Briscoe Library is available for 24 hour study. Branch libraries can be accessed with a UT Health Science Center ID card on an extended schedule when those libraries are not staffed. Full details on library hours, policies and contact information are provided here.
- We have an extensive print and online collection of health sciences books and journals. Over 95% of our journals are available online. Electronic Course Reserves are accessed through the University’s Blackboard system.
- Library services include circulation, reference and research assistance, instruction in use of databases and other resources, interlibrary loan, community outreach, help with using library printers, copiers and scanners, and support for using resources for mobile devices. See the Get Help page for details.
- Registration: You must be registered to check out library items. Students and Clinical or Adjunct Faculty must renew their library registration annually using the Borrower Registration or Renewal Form.
- Off campus access to our online collections requires logging in with a UTHSCSA domain account or, for Clinical or Adjunct Faculty, a Library ID and PIN that are set up during registration.
- UT Health Science Center computer users at all libraries must log on using their UTHSCSA domain account; we also provide guest computers for use by patients, families and others doing research. Please read our Computer Use Policy.
- We strive to make the library a welcoming place to study. We have a variety of study areas including open seating; individual study rooms, which are first come first served; and group study rooms, which may be reserved for two or more UT Health Science Center affiliates. Wireless access is available throughout the Briscoe Library and branch libraries. We provide electrical outlets and data lines wherever possible. Food and covered drinks are permitted in the libraries. More information can be found on our web page on Library Policies.
We look forward to seeing you, and hope you will feel free to ask questions and provide feedback on our services, collections and space.
Director of Briscoe Library and Outreach Services
Tags: August 2012