UT Health Science Center students who meet the following eligibility requirements may request delivery of books and journal articles though the UTHSC Libraries.
- Students living outside of San Antonio or Laredo area who are currently enrolled in a UT Health Science Center school-sponsored course and are not attending any class that meets in person at least once a week.
- Students and residents who are on rotation at sites outside San Antonio.
- Doctoral candidates who have completed course work and are living outside San Antonio or Laredo area.
Library Account Registration
- Students must have a library account and also an ILLiad account.
- It is important to update your account with any changes to your email or snail mail address to ensure that alerts and materials will get to you in a timely manner.
Requesting Library Materials
- Log in from off campus to access the library’s online resources, using the same UTHSCSA account login required for Blackboard use.
- Use the library catalog or e-Journals list to begin your search for books and journals.
- Search library databases to identify specific journal articles on a topic.
- Order print books and journal articles through the ILLiad system. Use one form per article and/or book.
- Be familiar with guidelines on Copyright and Fair Use.
Loan Periods and Renewals
- Standard loan periods apply and fines will be assessed for late items.
- Books may be renewed online by logging in to your library account.
Types of Materials Eligible for Delivery
- Print books, journal articles owned by UTHSC Libraries.
- Books, book chapters, journal articles not in the library’s collection, ordered through Interlibrary Loan—allow extra time for delivery.
Types of Materials Not Eligible for Delivery
- Reference and Rare books are non-circulating.
- Print Reserve materials cannot be borrowed, but chapters less than 50 pages can be delivered electronically.
- Online course materials are available through Canvas.
- Any electronic delivery that is subject to licensing or copyright restrictions.
- Books are checked out to you and delivered by Express Mail. Rush requests are delivered via Federal Express and carry a fee. A postage paid mailer is provided to return books.
- Journal articles are delivered electronically to your ILLiad account and notification is sent via email.
How Much Does it Cost?
|Type of service||
|Library-owned journal articles(Delivered electronically)||
|Books not owned by the UTHSC Libraries (Ordered through Interlibrary Loan)||
|Journal articles not owned by the UTHSC Libraries (Ordered through Interlibrary Loan)||
Alternatives to Borrowing from the UTHSC Libraries
If you don’t want to wait for delivery from the UTHSC Libraries, you may prefer to visit an academic library in your area. Most state university libraries are open to the public, and many in Texas allow UTHSC borrowers to check books out under the TexShare program.
Additional Resources for Distance Learning Students
Check out the Resources for Students site for links to tipsheets, research tools, copyright guidelines and general library information.
Contact the Library for further information or if you have questions.