First medical X-ray by Wilhelm Röntgen of his wife Anna Bertha Ludwig’s hand – 1895
The History of Medicine Society, sponsored by the Friends of the P. I. Nixon Medical Historical Library, will have its initial meeting for the 2014-2015 academic year on August 20, 2014, in the Howe Conference Room located on the 5th floor of the Briscoe Library building. Eva Glvan, MS4, will present X-rays & Radiation: The Early Days. Everyone, including the general public, is welcome to attend. A companion exhibit entitled Discovery of X-Rays will be mounted in the 3rd floor glass exhibit cases from August 15 – September 14.
The HOM Society has scheduled many interesting activities for the 2014 – 2015 year as follows:
- August 20 – Eva Galvan –Early Days of X-Rays and Radiation
- September 8 – 10 – History of Medicine Scavenger Hunt with presentation by Charleen Moore on Sept. 10 on Treasures of the P. I. Nixon Medical Historical Library at 6:00 pm in the Howe Conference Room. All entries must be turned in by 6:30.
- October 1 – Ruth Stewart, RN, Ph.D – Nurses in War: a Florence Nightingale Heritage. 6:00 pm. Howe Conference Room. Followed by viewing NLM exhibit and a small reception.
- November – no meeting. Friends of the P. I. Nixon Medical Historical Library Annual Dinner Meeting on Nov. 6
- December – no meeting
- January 14 – Second Annual Trivia Contest – Ally Hertz, Medical Student. 6:00 pm Howe Conference Room
- February 11 – History of the Mental Health Prosumer Movement. 6:00 pm Howe Conference Room
- March 25 – Presentation by Danny Jones HOM Essay winner. 6:00 pm Howe Conference Room
- April 22 – History of Medicine in Poetry. 6:00 pm Howe Conference Room
So, save the dates and join us for an evening of interesting discussion and fun!
For more information on the History of Medicine Society meetings contact Anne Comeaux, Assistant Director for Special Collections, 210-567-2428 or email@example.com .
Image by Wilhelm Röntgen. [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons