Can I Get That Online?
Find Help – Guides
Refreshed and redesigned with the user in mind, our guides offer a fully responsive experience on your desktop and mobile device. Select a guide by topic from the options below, or browse all guides.
We hope you found what you need using the available guides. You can always contact us to suggest an enhancement or an entirely new guide.
Find Resources for Writing
When you need to write research papers, articles and dissertations, be sure to carefully collect the reference details for the articles and books you will use while writing.
Check with your school or department to see if individual writing tutors are available. Librarians are not able to review or edit papers but students are welcome to ask specific questions related to the research and writing process.
Selected Style Guides at the Libraries
- Publication manual of the American Psychological Association. 6th Edition. WZ 345 A512p 2010
- APA style guide to electronic resources. WZ 345 A512pe 2012
- AMA manual of style: A guide for authors and editors. WZ 345 A512 2007
- The Chicago manual of style. Z 253 C532 2010
- Citing Medicine: The NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors, and Publishers. e-book
- MLA handbook for writers of research papers. LB 2369 G438m 2009
A variety of additional style guides can be found using the Library Catalog – keyword or title search.
Tools to Use – Help with Citation Styles
- RefWorks – online tool to help collect, organize and cite research sources, free to UT Health Science Center affiliates, sign up for a personal account at RefWorks
- EndNote – installed software, available to UT Health Science Center affiliates for individual or department purchases ($79) at the Campus Computer Store
- Mendeley – free web-based reference manager software and academic social network
- Zotero – free web browser based reference tool to help you collect, organize, and cite your research sources
Comprehensive Writing Websites
- NIH Writing Center
- Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue (including APA Style Help Pages)
- Writing & Style Guides
- Undergraduate Writing Center Handouts from UT Austin
Personal Statements and the Job Search
- Writing the Personal Statement information about writing academic personal statements from the Purdue OWL
- Career and Job search materials, including CV, teaching philosophy, and research statements
Scientific and Medical Writing
- A manual for writers of research papers, theses, and dissertations : Chicago style for students and researchers. Z 253 T929m 2007
- From research to manuscript: a guide to scientific writing. e-book
- Medical writing: a guide for clinicians, educators, and researchers. WZ 345 T245c 2011
- Science research writing for non-native speakers of English. PE 1475 G549s 2011
- Writing the NIH grant proposal: a step-by-step guide. W 20.5 G355w 2006
APA Style Tips & Tricks
- How to Write an APA Style Reference When Information Is Missing table from the APA Style Blog
- How to cite social media
- Citing laws and statutes
Getting Started with EndNote X
Getting Started with EndNote X1
Getting Started with EndNote X2
Getting Started with EndNote X3
Learn about Poster Presentations
Use these resources to plan and develop a poster presentation for class, conferences and meetings.
A regularly offered library class on Creating and Presenting Effective Poster Sessions is a great option when you are thinking about improving your poster making skills. This class can be requested for courses or departments. Contact Briscoe Library Information at email@example.com or 210-567-2450 to request a special presentation.
Campus Poster Printing
- UT Health Science Center UT Print Information and Templates
Poster Presentation Resources
- Better Posters Blog: super before and after poster designs
- Creating Effective Poster Presentations by George R. Hess, NC State University & Leon H. Liegel, Oregon State University (Authors Page)
- Poster Presentation of Research Work by M.T. Tham, Dept. of Chemical and Process Engineering, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
- Ten Simple Rules for a Good Poster Presentation from PLoS Computational Biology 3(5): e102
Look at a wide variety of posters to decide what you like and don’t like!
- ePosters.net: Online Journal of Scientific Posters
- F1000 Posters: Open Access Poster Repository for Biology & Medicine
- Flickr Poster Sessions: see photographs of poster sessions presented worldwide
- BioMed Central: Writing Titles and Abstracts
- CONSORT: transparent abstracts as a key to research
- Medical Library Association: Structured Abstract
- NIH: What is a Structured Abstract?
Learn More – Slides on Poster Presentations
- Creating and Presenting Effective Poster Sessions (to see the complete slide set, attend a poster class!)
- Writing a Structured Research Abstract