Can I Get That Online?
Effective Poster Sessions – Presentation
Find Help – Tipsheets & User Guides
Database Tipsheets & Tutorials
Many of the tipsheets on this page were created by library staff, others are linked materials are created by other libraries or by the database producers. If you have any questions, please contact us.
OvidSP – Medline
- Searching Medline through OvidSP
- OvidSP Quick Reference Card
- OvidSP “My Projects” Quick Reference
- OvidSP Training and online tutorials
- PubMed: Getting Better Results
- Table of Contents Email Delivery via PubMed
- Advanced PuMed Searching Resource Packet (doc)
- PubMed Basics: Finding What You Need (doc)
- Searching PubMed with MeSH
- PubMed Basico (español)
- Scopus Quick Reference Guide
- Online Tutorials
- Additional Training Videos
- Cited Reference Search Tutorial
- News and feature announcements from Scopus
Web of Knowledge
Library Tool Guides
On this page we make available tipsheets and how-to guides available on a variety of topics. Some tipsheets are made by the libraries and others are link to official help information. Contact us if you need help.
- Can I Get That Online? – A guide to getting full text articles.
- Using the Briscoe Library Catalog
- Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad)
- Library Secrets
- Finding Dissertations
Bibliographic Management Software
- RefWorks User Quick Start Guide
- Importing and Exporting into RefWorks
- RefWorks Fundamentals Video Tutorials (YouTube Channel)
- RefWorks Study Guide/Workbook
EndNote X1 (version 11)
EndNote X (version 10)
General Computer Skills
- Ejercitando con Mi Raton – Spanish-language tutorial teaching basic mouse skills: clicking links, selecting and copying text, and manipulating common web form elements.
Find Resources for Evidence Based Practice
A variety of resources are available to meet the needs of evidence based practice.
For a complete list of EBM/EBP resources, visit the Databases by Subject.
- Cochrane Library
- PubMed Clinical Queries
- ACP Journal Club
- Bandolier Knowledge Library
- PIER (from Stat!Ref)
- Institute for Clinical Systems
- National Guidelines Clearinghouse
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force
- TRIP (Turning Research Into Practice) Clinical Search Engine
- “Evidence based medicine: what it is and what it isn’t” (doi: 10.1136/bmj.312.7023.71)
- What is EBM?
- Introduction to Evidence-Based Medicine (Duke University Medical Center & Health Sciences Library, UNC-Chapel Hill)
- EBM Subject Guide (Duke University)
- Basic Introduction to Evidence Based Practice (Univ. of Washington)
Find Resources for Writing
When you need to write research papers, articles and dissertations, be sure to carefully collect the reference details for the articles and books you will use while writing.
Check with your school or department to see if individual writing tutors are available. Librarians are not able to review or edit papers but students are welcome to ask specific questions related to the research and writing process.
Selected Style Guides at the Libraries
- Publication manual of the American Psychological Association. 6th Edition. WZ 345 A512p 2010
- APA style guide to electronic resources. WZ 345 A512pe 2012
- AMA manual of style: A guide for authors and editors. WZ 345 A512 2007
- The Chicago manual of style. Z 253 C532 2010
- Citing Medicine: The NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors, and Publishers. e-book
- MLA handbook for writers of research papers. LB 2369 G438m 2009
A variety of additional style guides can be found using the Library Catalog - keyword or title search.
Tools to Use – Help with Citation Styles
- RefWorks – online tool to help collect, organize and cite research sources, free to UT Health Science Center affiliates, sign up for a personal account at RefWorks
- EndNote – installed software, available to UT Health Science Center affiliates for individual or department purchases ($79) at the Campus Computer Store
- Mendeley - free web-based reference manager software and academic social network
- Zotero - free web browser based reference tool to help you collect, organize, and cite your research sources
Comprehensive Writing Websites
- NIH Writing Center
- Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue (including APA Style Help Pages)
- Writing & Style Guides
- Undergraduate Writing Center Handouts from UT Austin
Personal Statements and the Job Search
- Writing the Personal Statement information about writing academic personal statements from the Purdue OWL
- Career and Job search materials, including CV, teaching philosophy, and research statements
Scientific and Medical Writing
- A manual for writers of research papers, theses, and dissertations : Chicago style for students and researchers. Z 253 T929m 2007
- From research to manuscript: a guide to scientific writing. e-book
- Medical writing: a guide for clinicians, educators, and researchers. WZ 345 T245c 2011
- Science research writing for non-native speakers of English. PE 1475 G549s 2011
- Writing the NIH grant proposal: a step-by-step guide. W 20.5 G355w 2006
APA Style Tips & Tricks
- How to Write an APA Style Reference When Information Is Missing table from the APA Style Blog
- How to cite social media
- Citing laws and statutes